Wisdom Wednesday – Prepare for the 1940 Census
Are you preparing for the 1940 U.S. Federal Census release on April 2, 2012? The National Archives has a lot of information about the upcoming release that you should read.
After you read the National Archives information, start preparing your research for the release. How can you do that?
- Purchase or use Sort Your Story to organize all of your pre-1940 census documents.
- Create file folders for your main line ancestors.
- Add census folders for all censuses you have located starting with 1930 and working backwards.
- Make a note of all censuses you are missing.
- Start locating those missing censuses.
- Update your genealogy database with census information you locate.
- Note the addresses where your ancestors lived in 1930.
By going through your research files to ensure you have as many pre-1940 censuses as possible, it will make locating your ancestors on the 1940 a little easier (prior to indexing).
Need help creating file folders based on your pedigree chart? View a previous post about this and watch the pedigree chart video.
© 2011 Lorel Kapke, 19201 Sonoma Hwy. #341, Sonoma, CA 95476-5413
- Tuesday’s Tip – Guest Post from Lorel Kapke of Sort Your Story (kidsgenealogy.generationsofstories.net)