April 2, 2012…….the day the 1940 Census is released……….where will you be?
With the 1940 Census soon arriving we should all take time to examine our surnames and information. How can you use Sort Your Story to prepare for the 1940 Census release? If you have not already done the following, start now so you are ready April 2!
- Create surname folders for each surname in your tree
- Create profiles for each person in your main line within the surname folders
- Add all the censuses for each person in Sort Your Story up through 1930
- Note the address where the person was living in 1930 and any addresses beyond to help with your 1940 search
- Note any additional spellings of the surnames in your profiles so you do not forget in the excitement of the 1940 search
Want to know more about the 1940 Census? Visit the following sites.
How are you using Sort Your Story to prepare for the 1940 Census release? Share in the comments.
© 2012 Lorel Kapke, 19201 Sonoma Hwy. #341, Sonoma, CA 95476-5413
Are you preparing for the 1940 U.S. Federal Census release on April 2, 2012? The National Archives has a lot of information about the upcoming release that you should read.
After you read the National Archives information, start preparing your research for the release. How can you do that?
- Purchase or use Sort Your Story to organize all of your pre-1940 census documents.
- Create file folders for your main line ancestors.
- Add census folders for all censuses you have located starting with 1930 and working backwards.
- Make a note of all censuses you are missing.
- Start locating those missing censuses.
- Update your genealogy database with census information you locate.
- Note the addresses where your ancestors lived in 1930.
By going through your research files to ensure you have as many pre-1940 censuses as possible, it will make locating your ancestors on the 1940 a little easier (prior to indexing).
Need help creating file folders based on your pedigree chart? View a previous post about this and watch the pedigree chart video.
© 2011 Lorel Kapke, 19201 Sonoma Hwy. #341, Sonoma, CA 95476-5413
- Tuesday’s Tip – Guest Post from Lorel Kapke of Sort Your Story (kidsgenealogy.generationsofstories.net)